5 Last-Minute Tips for Cape Town Pride
Cape Town Pride is quickly approaching and for those of you heading to this ultimate South African rainbow celebration Feb. 22 - Mar. 2, here is EDGE’s countdown of can’t-miss experiences above and beyond the Pride itinerary.
For Cape Town pride events, visit www.CapeTownPride.org. The official beneficiary of the weeklong celebration is The Pride Shelter Trust, which is raising funds to secure the establishment of a shelter to serve LGBT community members during times of crisis.
In the meantime, also find time for these spectacular experiences to round out your journey:
1. Take the Table Mountain Aerial Cableway up the face of Table Mountain and experience the awe-inspiring view from atop one of the natural wonders of the world. From the top, guests can enjoy a 360-degree view of Cape Town, the coastline and rice flora and fauna. Buy your tickets in advance online and skip the on-site line.
2. Discover the wines of the region with a Cape Town wine tour. The Wine Desk offers an array of experiences from wine, cheese and olive tastings, visits to local food markets, winemaker meet-and-greets and guided or self-driven tours through sprawling vineyards.
3. When you’ve maxed out on the entire Pride event, experience a Cape Town can’t-miss: High Tea at The Lounge at The Table Bay Hotel. An assortment of the world’s finest teas is served at The Lounge, which offers sweeping views of the harbor and Table Mountain.
4. Once you have rejuvenated, swing by Asoka for pre-party drinks. The former Victorian townhouse has been outfitted as a modern, romantic bar located on Cape Town’s trendy Kloof Street. Enjoy a candlelit dinner beneath the olive tree in the open-air courtyard or get the party started at the champagne-martini-vodka bar in the rear.
5. Don’t leave Cape Town without a visit to Belafonte (Shop 41, Constantia Village, Constantia (00 27 21 794 4610). This premiere men’s store offers classic designs in natural fabrics, from pure cotton shirts and wool blazers to 100 percent leather and suede shoes.
This article is part of our "Winter 2013" series. Want to read more?
Here's the full list»